Friday, June 17, 2011

Oh my GOD! - May's Cookies

Trying out cakes that only come in a whole can be really hard if you were born into a family without a sweet tooth. Except me, of course. While eating sugared stuff is literally a piece of cake to me, my parents aren't as fond of them as I do. While its okay buying mini cakes which they push away after taking a really small forkful, saying 'you take the rest' (and I am reluctant to), I am handicapped in having cakes that dont come in slices. Like, I never get to try the chocolate cake from Awfully Chocolate. Most importantly, many mini cakes dont actually taste the same as their big brother. Trust me - I have tried.
The crunch cake from May's cookies has always been on my the-cake-i-want-to-have wishlist, however I cant as it doesnt come in a mini. I was thrilled when i learn it would come in a 4-inch, for a limited period in June. It wasnt exactly cheap (i thought, not until i found out how much Maxim's charged for their 3/4 angel cake), but I ordered one online straightaway.
In a gloomy afternoon with my phone running out of battery, I picked up the cake at May's Cookies in Wanchai,somewhere near Hopewell Centre. I nearly got lost, having no access to the map app on my phone - that's how modern electric gadgets have induced backward evolution in mankind. :(

The mini cake was really, really small. It came with a pack of caramel crunch, which was slightly out-of-proportionally big and generous.

We cut the cake after our dinner, and I deliberately ate less to save some room for the cake I had always wanted to try. Even the box was tiny - more like a tiny milk carton than a carrier for a cake meant to be shared among four adults.

Ta-teh! The cake looked really nice. White and pure, the appearance resonates with the beautiful name of the cake. Its literally an angel, and a beautiful one, too. There was no decor but the little fluffs of cream, spurring outward, were enough.

The only decor it needed were the caramel crunches, perhaps. The bag of crunches had enough to cover the whole cake actually, and the photo showed only 2/3 of it. Maybe they did not have a 'mini' bag of that and just gave away crunches meant for the cakes in regular sizes.

Cutting carefully into the light and fluffy cake I quartered it, exposing the layered sponge cakes. It looked lighter in reality than in the photo but was equally light and sporous. With thick layers of cream in between too. They felt denser and stiffer than what I tasted from Ginger Bakery (which had been whisked really light) and Clover Cake and Coffee (which was much thinner). O was it because I chilled the cake?

And finally - I got to taste it. A cake is no good no matter how fancy it looked if it tasted awful. I savored and could taste nothing like cake but the cream and even sweeter crunch. I thought it was the problem with my tastebuds as i quickly sampled a forkful of pure spongecake, but it tasted bland. Like really bland. And I did not mean 'light' or 'healthy' or 'sugar-free' but BLAND. The cake disappointingly tasted as if the chef had forgotten to put sugar or eggs into it. I know Angel's cake should be made with minimum amount of sugar, no butter but mainly egg white, but there is much difference between a TASTELESS cake and a LIGHT AND FLUFFY cake. There was just no taste in it, not even the slightest hint of sweetness. Or whatever.

The stiff cream was also weird as there was a faint hint of...oil that had gone off in it. I could not explain why that was so. It was just WEIRD, tasting stale oil in an Angel's cake that was supposed to be really light and oil-free. The only thing I like about the cake were the caramel crunches, surely very fresh since they were crunchy, and not TOO sweet, but it was not enough to save the cake. In short, it was a huge disappointment, and I could not understand why others like it so much.

I do not mean to be offensive, but i really think even the one from Maxims' was much better than this, not to mention Ginger's or Clover's.

But I am still glad that i bought and tried it - you never know what's good without knowing what's bad. Sadly, this from May's Cookies was on the 'bad' side while the lemonish crunch cake from Ginger was the 'good' one.

Now i know where I should go for a good slice of Angel's cake after comparing among different bakerys - Ginger Bakery@Wanchai. :D Best in town (so far)!

May's Cookies
香港灣仔進教圍6號地下
http://www.mayscookies.com.hk

0 意見:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...