Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dinner at Hokkaido Dairy Farm Restaurant

Funny how man suddenly crave for a specific sort of food when in despair. The impulse for food comes like a flood and swamps your body, moving your legs to walk in the direction for that restaurant.

That 'food' need not be particularly expensive nor fancily made - in my case, the image which pops up first in my head when i feel like sh*t are usually the simple yet hearty and comforting ones like sandwiches, and stuff. Despite my love for luxury dishes like lobsters and steak, i feel equally satisfied eating local chaa-chan teng foods.

Hokkaido Dairy Restaurant is a place I usually head to when i feel down, the reason being still unknown - is it because of the comforting portion of serving, the taste of the Hokkaido milk, or the general atmosphere of the store(s)? Uncertain it remain. But one thing im pretty sure with is that it definitely serves one of the best - and the most comforting - sandwiches in Hong Kong.

This may not be the best in town but it is most easily accessible, having 3 stores across HK island. That accounts for my presence at the store in this late evening - I just happened to stop by after wandering around my place for like, 15 minutes.

The place was somehow empty when I arrived. Settled on a seat adjacent to the window, I basically could order without having to look at the menu. I came here with a desire to eat something with my claws, and thus sandwiches would be what i have. The only thing that mattered was that whether i was going to order the plain egg sandwich or the more scrumptious, yet more weighty bumper's sandwich, which i heard carries not only eggs but also meat like the Cha Siu and Spam. Doubted, i asked a staff for the answer and she, after glancing me from top to toe, estimating my capacity at eating, banned me as she thought i could only manage half of the monster. Fine - bring me the scrambled egg sandwich, toasted with an extra of $2. A drink was included with the set and i ordered a hot ginger and honey drink (another extra $5 incurred).

[caption id="attachment_216" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="Hot Black Ginger and Honey"][/caption]

The wait was brief before my drink came. Dark, opaque with swirling steam, the thing did not look appealing to drink. A sip of it tasted warm and sweet - still a nice drink in the hot summer.

[caption id="attachment_217" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="The wet plate"][/caption]

The staff should have paid more attention to the tidiness of the utilities however, as i find way too many annoying water drops on my cup plate.

[caption id="attachment_218" align="aligncenter" width="224" caption="The sandwiches with bouncing bread"][/caption]

Then came the sandwich with bouncing bread - untoasted. I asked for a return and soon after 3 minutes the monster revisited, this time with a tougher shield. My extra $2 was worth the pay as the bread were perfectly toasted, despite a little whiter than what i would usually prefer. It was crunchy on the outside and chewy in the inside, and it had a sweetness of the egg white in it - yum. It wold taste equally great if eaten alone, naked without the butter and stuff.

[caption id="attachment_219" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="monstrous but yummy."][/caption]
The scrambled egg was not as great however as it was slightly overcooked. Folded and wrapped instead of freely scrambled, there were little juice and moist although it tasted okay - a few shakes of pepper would further enhance the flavour however. It tasted best eaten piping hot.

Quickly finishing my meal, the place got louder and louder as more OLs rushed in for dinner. Surprised at the popularity of the place for dinner, and not wanting to occupying the table for too long, i paid and left both physically and spiritually satisfied.

A soul food it is to me, something that will keep pulling me back...

http://hokkaidodairyfarm.com/

0 意見:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...